- Ancestry Library Edition - New
Search Historical Records, Stories & Publications and Photos & Maps (Please Note this is currently only available from within the library)
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet
Cyndi's site features over 235,000 links, categorized, cross referenced in over 150 categories and updated with impressive frequency! The list of Ontario sites is wonderful.
A database of over 400 million names from the Mormon Church Family History Library can be searched on this site.
GenealogyInTime is a popular online genealogy magazine with useful Genealogy and Rare Book Search Engines, genealogy articles, listings of the latest genealogy records, and more.
- Olive Tree Genealogy Homepage
Groups of detailed information sites, including ship lists, home children, tools and tips, Mennonites, the Dutch in New York State, and much more of interest to Canadian researchers.
A free searchable genealogy site with plenty of useful links and tips for tracing your family tree.
- World Connect @ Rootsweb
The World Connect project allows users to upload their family trees to the Internet. This searchable database contains more than 368 million names.
- Canada Genweb Project
A site devoted to the collection and distribution of Canadian genealogical data.
- Genealogy and Family History - Library and Archives Canada
Providing electronic access to the many genealogical resources of Canada, including Census, Immigration, Land, Military and Naturalization records.
- The Canadian Military Heritage Project
Topics covered here include weaponry, uniforms, muster rolls, biographies of soldiers plus many other aspects of Canadian military history. This site also provides an interesting collection of links.
- Census of Canada Indexes, 1851, 1901 and 1911
A free online index to the 1901 and the 1911 Census of Canada.
- News & How-To from GlobalGenealogy.com – Articles, press releases and how-to information for genealogists (this has the same web address as the Global Gazette)
- Library and Archives Canada
This site provides information about the collection and services of Library and Archives Canada as well as access to online resources such as Soldiers of the First World War and Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.
- Soldiers of the First World War (1914-1918)
An index to the personnel files of over 600,000 Canadians enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War.
- The Virtual Reference Library - Genealogy Resources
Provides links to many genealogy resources.
- United Church of Canada Archives - Victoria University
Descriptions of all pre-1925 local church records are available on this site - selected records are available for interlibrary loan.
- Archives of Ontario
Everything you need to know about the types of records held at the Archives, plus information on services, fees and planning a visit.
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
A wonderful volunteer project to index all the names on gravestones in Ontario. The project is not finished yet so not all names are covered yet. Once a name is located, the contributing organization must be contacted for details.
- Ontario Genealogical Society
OGS publications and branch information are listed along with links to other Ontario archival and library sites.
- The Ontario Name Index (TONI)
The Ontario Name Index shows where information about a particular name can be found. You can enter the first name and/or last name and/or a location.
- Local Names Index
The St. Catharines Public Library, in cooperation with The St. Catharines Standard, has created a Local Names Index. This online index contains notices for Births, Marriages, Deaths, Adoptions, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Engagements, etc. The index starts from January 1, 1900 and records have been entered up to the early 1920s. Historical records are being entered daily.
- Niagara Falls Public Library: Newspaper Index
A database that indexes birth, marriage, death and anniversary notices as well as news articles relating to Niagara Falls. Click on Local Newspaper Index.
- Niagara Genealogy
Part of the Ontario Genweb Project. Includes a surname database, maps and historical information and links for both Lincoln and Welland Counties.
- The Niagara Peninsula Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society
This site includes, among other things, a map of the area, a Surname Index, and a publications list.
- Welland Public Library Local History Database
Databases that index surnames from local sources and headlines and articles from the Welland Tribune
- Allen County Public Library
Almost second-to-none in its collections, the Allen County Public Library has a lot of cross-border information for genealogists.
- Find a Grave
A large database of online cemetery records for the United States.
- Library of Congress Local History & Genealogy Reading Room
One of the world's premier collections of US and foreign genealogical and local history publications.
- National Archives – Resources for Genealogists
A practical guide from the Us National Archives and Records Administration to obtaining federal records such as census, military and passenger lists.
- The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation
A site that contains 25 million ships' passenger records covering entry through the Port of New York and Ellis Island from 1892-1924.
- The USGenWeb Project
Provides Internet websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Find records for an ancestor who served in either World War I or World War II. Records include name of mother and father.
- Expert Links: English Family History and Genealogy
Price & Associates, a team of professional genealogists, has produced a list of web links, divided into categories such as baptism, marriage, and burial indexes, occupations, military records and emigration lists.
Transcriptions of the civil registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales.
- Genuki, Genealogy in the UK and Ireland
Genuki is an extensive reference source arranged by country, region, county and town and includes links to all important British genealogical societies.
- Historical Directories
A digital library of eighteenth, nineteenth and early twentieth century local and trade directories from England and Wales.
- Public Record Office / National Archives (UK)
This is the site all British family history enthusiasts will want.
- A Vision of Britain Through Time
Britain between 1801 and 2001. Includes maps, statistical trends and historical descriptions.
- Cyndi's List - Free Stuff > Printable charts & Forms
Go to Cyndi's List for a variety of free, printable genealogical charts and forms
Coats of Arms and Heraldry are most misunderstood topics. The following sites provide helpful information about the correct use of Coats of Arms.
- The International Association of Amateur Heralds
Helpful information about copyright and the rules for using coats of arms. Includes links to other useful sites.
- Rootsweb's Guide to Tracing Family Trees: Heraldry for Genealogists
Tips for proving your ancestors bore arms.
- Library and Archives Canada: Home Children 1869-1930
Library and Archives Canada holds unique and extensive records about British Home Children.
- British Home Children
This site can be searched for information on individual Home Children.
- Cyndi's List - Orphans
Check out Cyndi's list for comprehensive coverage of Home Children sites.
- Young Immigrants to Canada Site
An ambitious site for all sorts of information on the immigrant children sent to Canada. Includes lists from the Maria Rye home.
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild
Over 6,500 ships manifests have been transcribed, all with free access.
- Immigrants at Grosse Île Quarantine Station, 1832 – 1937
This database includes information on over 33,000 who stayed at the Grosse Île Quarantine Station between 1832 and 1937.
- Passenger Lists and Border Entries, 1925 – 1935 – Nominal Indexes
A nominal index of passenger lists of immigrants arriving in Canada from overseas as well as an index of people entering Canada via the United States.
- Passenger Lists for the Port of Quebec City, 1865 – 1900
This database contains over 900,000 references to names found on passenger lists destined for the port of Quebec City from May 1st, 1865 to April 24th, 1900.
- Brock University - Maps, Data & GIS Collection
The map collections on this site include Historical Maps of Niagara and 1921 Air Photos of St Catharines, Niagara Falls and Port Colborne.
- Canadian County Atlas Digital Project
A searchable database of the property owners' names which appear on the township maps in the county atlases.
- Ancestry Message Boards
This site is searchable by surname, location and topic.
- Cyndi's List - Queries and Message Boards
Hosted by Genealogy.com, this site contains thousands of Forums where researchers can post queries and connect with other researchers.
- Free Obituaries On-line
This site contains Canadian and international links that lead to free obituaries, death or funeral notices.
- Cyndi's List - Beginners
A list of several sites where those new to genealogical research can find help.
- Cyndi's List - Surnames, Family Associations & Family Newsletters
General surname sites and resources.
- Genuki - Surname Lists
Surname research directories covering England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man and Channel Isles.
- Rootsweb Surname List
A searchable surname registry with over one million surname entries on file..
- Surnames of Ontario
Part of the Ontario GenWeb Project. You can search this site by surname or by county or district.
- Friends of the Loyalist Collection at Brock University
An inventory of original United Empire Loyalist documents on microfilm at Brock University.